About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

On through the night.

Coming up on Friday June 20th is one of the most unique events on the Midwest Road Rally calendar. The Summer Solstice Road Rally out of Baldwin, WI. What makes this so unique is it takes place in the hours of darkness on the shortest night of the year (or as near as the Rallymaster can get). An all night rally.
Speaking from last years experience I can tell you that this is an event not to be missed. The Rally is a mix of Tulip instructions and map based course plotting with route checks along the way to prove that you followed the correct course. In the event that you get lost there are pick up points along the way to get you back on course. You will find it advantageous to use a GPS of some description.
Some of you less experienced and beginner road rally crews may well be concerned about staying awake all night. Last year my wife and I felt the same and we carried a cooler with us containing several cans of caffeinated beverages in it. But really they weren't needed. For during the event we were concentrating so hard that we didn't notice any tiredness. However, we did miss a couple of turns that may well have been down to a lack of concentration due to being awake in the "wee small hours".
This is a very unique event and one you should do.
You can enter over at MotorportReg using the link here
I hope we'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment