About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Prepping

Tschhhk, Tschhhk. Tschhhk, Tchhhk...
That's the sound of the printer down in the basement running off instructions for the Rum Runner Rallye in a few days.
All the hard work has been done. Plotting on the maps, going out for the leisurely drives  and checking the roads out. Then the route finalizing and measurement and then the pre-check.
It's been quite hectic.
The original plan was to have the event on the 4th, the Saturday but then the pressures of work took over and my employers instigated a mandatory overtime policy which not only moved the event to the Sunday but also curtailed any other road rally competition on our part as well.
(It also put me in the emergency room with a overwork related stress issue which wasn't very nice and caused me to miss the final pre-check but that's another story.)
Lets not forget that in the intervening we've also had a trip back to the UK and attended the Goodwood Revival.
Things have been so overwhelming that I'd even forgotten when I'd set the registration for the event to open. So imagine my surprise when I received an email notification telling me of the first entry for the event while we were on holiday in England!
So we're getting quite excited now. Right now I'm surrounded by delay forms, Tulips, waivers, General Instructions, and the event speciality. Fridge Magnets.
I think it's nice that everybody who runs gets something from the event. I'd like to get everyone T-shirts but not enough competitors get their entries in in time for me to get an order in to the printers. Fridge Magnets I can cope with at home. Though printing magnetic stock on a home inkjet printer can be fraught with "issues"...
Still, the fridge magnets are popular and I like to think that contestants take them home, stick them on their fridges and when a fellow rally competitor comes around for a beer to watch the game he sees the magnet and says.
"Rum Runner? Where's that one then?" He will then be told by his friend about the good time to be had on the Rum Runner and there you go, another potential entrant for next year.
The soon to be legendary Rum Runner 2014 Fridge Magnet.
That's how it should work anyway.
Now if you'll excuse me the printer has stopped running. There's some more papers to collate.

No comments:

Post a Comment