About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Monday, November 2, 2015

(Hopefully not on a) Road to nowhere

I'll wager David Byrne and Talking Heads would be surprised to find their songs associated with a persons quest to be a stage rally co-driver.
Hopefully come December 5th I'll be good at my job and car #958 won't end up lost in a forest on a road to nowhere.
Our visit to the Little's was twofold. Firstly, as we've discussed, was to see how I would fit in the car. Secondly, was to get some co-driver instruction from Dan's wife, Susi.
Susi is an experienced co-driver herself, navigating for another local driver Paul Johansen, who had also joined us all for the evening to contribute extra sound advice from a drivers point of view. Susi had agreed to give me some pointers as to what a co-drivers job entails. This was an enlightenment in itself. 
If you think that a co-drivers job is just to sit in the seat and call the turns, you'd be very wrong. In a big pro team that might be the case. But on a small regional rally team, that could barely scratch the surface of the co-drivers tasks. It's probably more accurate to say that all the driver does is turn up and drive.
Everything from booking hotels, and supervising the submitting of entries, to making sure all the tools are packed and in the right place. All could fall under the perview of the co-driver. If Dan says he's going to order a "woofle sprocket for the hyperdrive" then it's my job to keep at him until said mysterious part is delivered, and that's the easy stuff.
On the day of the event a co-driver can be everything from Team manager to minder/babysitter for the driver.
Who is responsible for all the paperwork at registration?
The co-driver.
The car will have to go though the technical inspection. Who's going to make sure it gets there?
The co-driver.
Who's going to make sure the support crew knows how to get to the service point to work on the car in the service break?
The co-driver.
Who is going to make sure the driver goes to the bathroom?
NO.
Once I'd got over the shock of all that, it was on to the things that I knew about. Reading the course notes.
"Right four tightens, fifty, Left four over crest". If you've ever watched any Rally cockpit videos on YouTube or seen James Mays efforts in a Bentley on Top Gear. You'll know what it's about.
Quite why it's this element of the sport that interests me so I don't know. I think when I was first interested in the co-driving as a kid, the co-driver was more often referred to as the navigator, perhaps I thought there was a lot of map reading involved and I love looking at and reading maps. Once the truth was discovered I was certainly no less interested in the role.
I had become fairly conversant in the terms used in the course notes. I knew what "Left four tightens over crest" meant. So I was feeling pretty confident about this. But hold on there! Reading notes off a sheet of paper is one thing, relating those to what is happening on the road in front of you is another. That actual experience is going to have to wait until the day of the event, in the meantime Susi said that I should try reading course notes along with one of the many videos on YouTube.
Course notes for SS1 of the Ojibwe Forests Rally and Nick Roberts and Rhainnon Gelsomino cockpit video
Perhaps you think this would be easier than the real thing. But I think you'd be very much mistaken. Watching a cockpit video on a computer screen in two dimensions is different to the real world. Thirty yards can look a lot like fifty, it's difficult to make out a crest on the road on the screen. So a R4/Cr 30 can look a lot like a R4 50. There's no feedback from a rough road, you're not lurching around any corners feeling G-forces, you're sat in a comfy chair sipping a cup of tea. If you're not concentrating very hard you can easily get lost on the course notes. I've already spent many hours over the afternoons and evenings reading along with the road, struggling with it. I would quite literally blink and loose my place.
Then all of a sudden it clicked. I thought it was like learning lines for a play where the instructions and the turns became memorized. I thought that made sense. I started out by learning on a 2012 Nemadji trail Rally Stage 1 video which after nearly 20 viewings I had become familiar with. But then I tried following the corresponding stage 2 video which I ran all the way through the first time of watching having not seen it before. At all. So something was beginning to work somewhere along the line.
There we are then. I now know that there's much more to being a co-driver than I originally thought. A whole world I wasn't expecting when I signed up for this adventure. A world that should "the interview at Nemadji" be successful will present me with a whole new set of challenges.
I know what you're thinking.
"He's got this far and he's barely mentioned the car. When do we get to see the car?" That is all part of the plan and will wait for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment