About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Nemadji Trail Rally - The in car video

Now let's take a look at the in-car footage from the Nemadji Trail.
Stage one: As I mentioned in the blog post we almost forgot to turn the camera on. You'll get a feel for how slippery the conditions were as we enter the first corner, aquaplaning on the slushy, icy mud. All the way along the stage you see how very busy Dan is with the steering wheel, I was so busy concentrating on the course instructions I was barely aware of all that activity. On a lighter note, watch out for the snowmen built by the course marshals as we travel along the stage. I think there's four, perhaps five. Perhaps the fifth one was the one placed on the route for the 000 course inspection car driven by Joe Lipinski to demolish.



Stage two: About halfway through the stage you'll hear me give the instruction "entering the complex" this was because I couldn't read the instructions as they were printed on the course notes. Coming from the other direction, as the trail looked totally different here was no problem with reading the instructions. In another area of the course you'll also hear me describe a very, very long right as "superduper long" I doubt this term will enter the rally lexicon. 


Stage three: We did actually forget to turn the GoPro on.
Stage four: I think some caution is evident as we set off on the final stage, the most important thing for us to do now is finish. But by the end of the stage we are flying as much as the conditions would allow us to "fly". In the dark, everything looks different again. Even though we travelled the same 8 miles of road four times each time it was different. As we cross the finish at the end of the stage our joy at completing the event is evident.


In closing, I want to properly thank Susi Little and her team of volunteers for putting on the event. An event like this can't be put on without a great team of volunteers, even more so when you realize that Susi was actually co-driver in one of the other cars as well. The course workers were clearly having a great time, witness all the snowmen built along the stage. Next year I hope to see even more snowmen and perhaps a Christmas tree or two lining the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment