About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Let the countdown begin!

We have a rally!
Registration has opened for the Headwaters Regional Rally out of Walker, Minnesota, and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the co-drivers seat. Entries are coming in quite quickly at the moment. The very reasonable entry fee, coupled with the chance to be in a drawing for a free entry in one of the regional events up at the Ojibwe Forest National Rally in August has probably contributed to that. There we are, number 8 on the list so far. The field for this event is not capped so there's no telling how many cars could be there at the start line on May 21st.

There we are. Entered.

I'm excited to see familiar names in the field so far and some interesting cars too. Robert LaFavor's Ford Mustang that I saw (and heard) at when volunteering at Ojibwe last year, and the Ford Festiva of Kyle and Zach Williams, that I enjoyed seeing at 100 Acre Wood last weekend. So some interesting cars to see.
Robert La Favor's Ford Mustang at Ojibwe 2015
Williams and Willams Ford Festiva at 100 Acre Wood 2016
Our preparations will have to begin in earnest. I need to get familiar with the rally computer I'm planning on using. The ASE Rally Com. It's an App for iPad, that if used properly should take care of everything time keeping wise on the big day. 
Rally Computer. It mostly means nothing to me (and displays nothing) right now
Learning a bit more about the car would be a good thing too. I was watching an in car video from 100 Acre Wood earlier and during it the car in question blew a fuel pump fuse. The crew pulled over and quickly changed the offending fuse and were on their way in under 2 minutes. Right now, I don't know where the fuses are ("Spare fuses are in the toolbox in the hatch area" - Dan) and I don't know where the fusebox is in front though. Tyre changing I'm sure I could do without too much instruction, but I'm sure there are other things I could learn just in case anything goes awry mid-stage. 
In the meantime there are the sups to review to keep me going.
We have rally documentation!
See you out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment