About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Off we go again.

The Ojibwe Forests Rally was a fairly successful weekend. No, it was a very successful weekend. Fourth in class on Friday and second in class on Saturday.  The car had no intercom and relying on hand signals it was a far, far better result than I expected. Those finishes also moved me up to third place in the regional co-drivers championship in class G2, to my great surprise.
Fired up by that success, I would expect you to think that I'd be champing at the bit to get out there to search for a chance to occupy the silly seat again. Except I wasn't in a hurry. I didn't need to be, because I had already fielded a request to co-drive at the Lake Superior Performance Rally (LSPR) in Houghton Michigan on October 14th and 15th.
Initially, I was a tad wary about accepting the offer, especially as this was before Ojibwe had even taken place. First I wanted to know what it was going to be like to co-drive for someone I hadn't met before. Co-driving with Adam at Ojibwe was a test to see how things worked. We got on well in the car, being able to work together to solve the communications problems and ended up with trophies. So I felt good about accepting the offer from William Marenich to occupy the silly seat in his 1991 VW Golf.
The VW Golf at Magnum Opus Rally. For LSPR the car will be #723
We're both looking forward to it. The event bills itself as "The oldest, meanest, toughest rally on the circuit", (though I hope it won't be as tough on my stomach as Friday night at Ojibwe). The rally, like Ojibwe, consists of a two day national rally, while the regional teams have two, one day rallies. The Lac view desert rally on Friday and the Ottawa rally on Saturday.
We've talked about the car and its set up, finding that we don't need to make any changes to the seat to get me to fit inside. The car also has the same rally computer that I'm learning to use, the ASE Rally Com. We also found that we share many common interests, which means we will have plenty to talk about during the transits between stages. Talking to each other won't be a problem as we have a working intercom in this car.
There you have it. A new rally, new car, new driver and new friends to make. If you see this spiffy looking VW Golf #723 on the rally give us a cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment