About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Starting out Part one. (A simple Q&A series)

What do I need to go road rallying? A fast four-wheel drive car with a safety cage, I'll bet. Crash Helmets too. I'm sure of it. Sounds very expensive to me, like all Motorsports. 
Not really. Obviously you do need a car. But no high speed, turbocharged four wheel drive vehicle. No crash helmets either. My wife and I road rally in our Scion XD with 210,000+ miles on the clock. I have also been known to use my 1976 MGB roadster. The thing with road rally is it's not about speed. Good communications between driver and navigator are paramount. But we can discuss that later.
I have learnt that being on time at checkpoints is very important. You must need expensive timing and measuring gear then.
Yes and No. While it is very true that there is some very expensive timing and measuring equipment out there that will make the inside of your car look like the inside of a spaceship, (we'll deal with them as the need arises). You can get by very successfully in Road Rally just by using your cars' odometer, a watch with a second hand, pen and paper and if you are mathematically challenged like me, a calculator. One step up from that, there are some very useful smartphone Apps out there for only a few dollars.
So, I really don't need anything expensive?
Not at all.
If I could find a rallye tomorrow I could go out and take part?
You most certainly could.
So where do I go from here?
How about we deal with that another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment