About this site

My name is Ian Holmes. A few years ago I discovered the branch of motor sport known as road rally. Along with my wife, Lorrie, we road rally our 2014 Ford Focus in regular road rallies and my 1976 MGB in classic road rallies. In 2015 I took over the co-drivers seat for local rally driver Dan Little. This blog describes my adventures in all forms of rallying.

Friday, March 21, 2014

I'll be lost without (my) Tulips

Disturbing news reached me earlier this week. "Tulip" the road book creator App for the iPad had disappeared from the Apple App Store. This news was further compounded by the fact that the website of the developer, Longhaul software had disappeared too. If this App is lost to Rallymasters it will be a sad day indeed. This was a very handy piece of kit. Simple to use, it made producing, and sharing Road Rally instructions an easy task. You could take your iPad out on a route recconaissance, plot the route and make edits as you went along. It was certainly invaluable during the Rum Runner Rallies development. 
There is other software out there for producing Rally Roadbooks. But nothing specifically for the iPad as far as I can see. It will be interesting to see if the App returns or a replacement appears. As the last time the IPad OS upgraded Tulip didn't function and had to be upgraded too. What will happen during the next major iOS upgrade? I may have to buy myself a new iPad so I can keep the old one with the old OS just so I can keep using Tulip.
Above: It was simplicity itself to produce a page like this using Tulip


No comments:

Post a Comment